Saturday, August 27, 2011

I-RENE!


Ain't she a beaut? Like a furry, swirly bunny tail. It feels like it has been DAYS of talking about it--I guess it has--but I am surprised at how completely freaked out everything has gotten. The local ABC station has basically been non-stop news all day. There is quite a lot to report, so there's reason for it, but I'd be lying if I said it hasn't ramped up the anxiety about the approaching storm. Evacuation zones, stocking up for days without open grocery stores or restaurants, the MTA shutting down all service at noon today...and of course the semi-jubilant media anticipation for what might happen.

You know, when I was in middle school one of my frenemies never called me by my actual name. Guess what she called me??? I-REEEENE. And that's exactly how she'd say it. Considering the little shit I was at 13, it makes sense that this ahole hurricane is named Irene.

I've spent most of the day prepping for the storm. Probably over-prepping. Example:


I'm not even sure what duct taping windows will do, but I also duct taped around the air conditioner which should (I hope) keep most of the water out. I also made a big bag of ice and cooked up extra food to eat should the worst happen (flooding, electricity out, etc.). Tonight I'll make sure the phone and laptop are also charged up. I won't be able to access the internet via the laptop, but I will have phone access (I hope). Lots and lots of "I hopes."

Of course, people are having far too much fun with the prospect of a huge storm approaching:



The video will most certainly be taken down at some point, but let's enjoy the sight of a bouncing ding dong on the Weather Channel for as long as we can. The reporter's disgust with the infantile, fratty high jinks is similar to the shaming, scolding tones I've seen other reporters exhibit over the course of the day. After all, the only people who can gleefully anticipate this event are the media.

Now there are reports of tornadoes and tornado watches very close to NYC. We got cows.

Gothamist has some semi snarky reports on the day's events. Luckily for me, I just have to turn on a local station and the minute-by-minute coverage will be there for me. Finally:


This just made me laugh and laugh. I guess we're all feeling a bit infantile and fratty. Booyah.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home