Monday, July 07, 2008

Summer Movie Extravaganza

Having just seen Hancock (review TK), I can officially say that this is my most active summer of movie viewing maybe ever. I've seen Indiana Jones (good), Iron Man (great), The Incredible Hulk (yawn), The Happening (damn fool), Wall-E (prosh!), and...well, I already mentioned Hancock, which was the one I was really waiting for. I wish I could say that it delivered...

Thank the Lordy Lord that Wall-E came through. It got me thinking, though, about expectations and the realities we must come to terms with when we take a seat at the local multiplex and dive into our $17 bag of popcorn. Movies that are above and beyond, extraordinary, striking and permanent are really not that common. They are also individualized...I liked The Matrix, but I don't own it. I do know many men who do, and would jujitsu your ass if you tried to take it. My personal stash is one part chick-flick, 9 parts guns ablazing: Love Actually resides comfortably next to Independence Day. Not everyone loved Cloverfield, but I will shut you down like a clown if you try to steal it. And Aliens? Maybe the best movie ever. Period.

Do you agree? Probably not. But some people will feel that way about The Incredible Hulk...we're all wired differently, there's something for everyone, blah blah blah. So while I might have been wildly underwhelmed by Hancock, someone out there is going to see it for the third time already and dreaming of the day it comes out on DVD. Meanwhile, as I grump in my general malaise of disappointment, the Butcher is making me watch "the best movie ever" on DVD...some hideous thing called Men at Work. We are, indeed, all very special.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and I used to do 1 or 2 movies a week and occasionally 3 or 4 and we did it almost every week. Can't believe you don't remember that.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what about the Dark Knight?

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home