Thursday, April 17, 2014

GAME OF THRONES RECAP **SPOILERS SPOILERS** OMG WHY ARE YOU STILL READING THIS?!?

I know I was among millions (meeeeellions bwa ha ha ha) who totally freaked out Sunday night when I witnessed King Joffrey's demise at the conclusion of the Worst Wedding Ever. Well, probably not. I can imagine every wedding to that hideous Frey was a festival of despair...yet, Joffrey's wedding was a perfect mirror of his horrid personality. Shaming his uncle, check. Shaming his dwarf uncle via a dwarf reenactment of recent battles, check. Shaming his uncle's wife's family via that reenactment, check check! Being a heinous bastard throughout? Checkity check check!!

Joffrey's death was a delight for most, though, like me, some were disappointed that it wasn't more slow, tortuous, and humiliating. But hey, beggars can't be choosers. And we are all beggars in George R. R. Martin's world. We truly are the lowly peons of his world.

What was most delightful (sick?) was the inevitable compilation of fan reactions to this turn of events. Seen HERE.

It can't quite compete with the Red Wedding reactions (seen HERE) but it was something the rest of us peons could relate to.

There was an article with Entertainment Weekly, where Martin says "...but Joffrey in the books is still a 13-year-old kid. And there’s kind of a moment there where he knows that he’s dying and he can’t get a breath and he’s kind of looking at Tyrion and at his mother and at the other people in the hall with just terror and appeal in his eyes—you know, 'Help me mommy, I’m dying.' And in that moment, I think even Tyrion sees a 13-year-old boy dying before him. So I didn’t want it to be entirely, 'Hey-ho, the witch is dead.' I wanted the impact of the death to still strike home on to perhaps more complex feelings on the part of the audience, not necessarily just cheering."

Sorry Martin, but NOPE. NOPE NOPE NOPE. Did I feel a little wrong cheering for anyone to die? Maybe. A little. But not as much as he thinks. Jack Gleeson's portrayal of Joffrey is the reason why. Not only is his VERY FACE ready made for punching (sorry, Jack), but his childish and sadistic portrayal is absolute and relatable. Take it from someone who was once a 13 year old girl...I may not have been Sansa, but I was psychologically, emotionally, and physically terrorized by one very adept sadist in my early teen years. Not only did I wish him dead by slow torture in my diary, I wrote short stories about it. Very, very detailed stories. So, yeah, NOPE. Sorry R.R. Maybe it went off like that in the books, but not for me! For me, it was glee. GLEE GLEE GLEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The nice footnote to all of this: Community. Let us gather together in our shared despair (Red) and joy (Purple). I love watching the videos, not just because they reflect so much of what I expressed myself (brotherhood!) but because I got to see a myriad of lives, households, families, and friends. There are all levels of class, culture, and background represented. If we weren't connected via YouTube and all other social media, how would we ever know how much we celebrate together, mourn together...scream and yell at the television together. I can almost endure what happens next (UG, what could possibly be next?? Don't care what happens to Jon Snow...he can go next. Please don't hurt Sansa or Arya, PLEASE OMG...or even the damn Hound for pity's sake NOOOOOO). We have all been communally brain fucked by George R.R. Martin. God love the man. And maybe shove him around a little. Because REALLY RR? REALLY? WTF.

But don't stop. We love/hate it. What a ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home