Saturday, March 29, 2008

Bharatanatyam Moment

CLICK or see above. Thanks, You Tube, for breaking my spirit! But more important...

One of the last things we did in Chennai was attend a young woman’s Arangetram, or premier dance recital in the form of the Bharatanatyam. Why only 16 seconds? It was a personal event, open to the public, but we were foreigners nonetheless. I took a few pictures, as well, but in every one the dancer is a golden figure, like a magical creature some trinkety camera could never capture.

About the dance, she spent years perfecting this form. A quick survey of You Tube clips tells me that what we saw was truly special. Our dancer made a few tiny mistakes, but she was nearly perfect in execution. Even my dull senses told me that. Click here to see more of the dance, done well by another performer. Something I could not seem to find was a fair representation of the facial expressions and eye movements. It was bewitching.

About the dancer…how to explain? She was exquisite. She was certainly one of the most beautiful women I’ve ever seen. I wish I’d gotten a better picture, or a better video. Kanne, our guide throughout, promises to send us the write up in the newspaper should she find one.

More to come! I am so tired!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home