Saturday, April 25, 2009

What I'm Into This Week

Grey Gardens

If you haven’t seen the documentary, you should, but definitely seek out the HBO film that premiered last Saturday. They did a fantastic job. Drew Barrymore is a convincing Little Edie and Jessica Lange is a depressingly accurate Big Edie. She’s also discovered Botox, I might add, which makes her look weird, alien, and a little demonic. Side Note, Ladies: Botox makes your forehead look massive. Like this:


But anyway, it’s fascinating stuff. This bit from the original documentary just slays me. (PS. Ma, couldn’t you totally see us going Grey Gardens? Except we wouldn’t have the mansion in the Hamptons. But you don’t need a mansion in the Hamptons to be batshit crazy. Whee!)



Happy Birthday, Shi Shi!

This one’s for you…



Phillip Seymour Hoffman

I hadn’t seen Capote until today. I know this is stating the obvious, but he never fails to be a revelation. I love him in everything. I think plenty of actors get bullshit cred for basically being the same person in every movie, maybe with little quirk tweaks thrown in or, my personal favorite: same guy, different intensities. This is Tom Cruise’s entire career. Actors like Hoffman inhabit entirely different characters so that the ultimate outcome is a seamless, natural, whole person in every case. Watch him in everything from The Savages and Along Came Polly, to Happiness and Twister (YES, Twister!) and you’ll understand what real acting is supposed to look like. We should all send him a Hallmark card congratulating him on what a fine job he’s doing. It should look like this:

Frontal view:

Inside view:

Picnik

Wondering how I made that incredible card? My computer has a crap photo editor. It does basically nothing. So, thanks to Miss Yasmin for hooking me up with this site.

Lady Gaga

I don’t really get the whole “visiting clubs, museums, and Paris while holding a teacup and saucer” bit, but you can’t deny that she is interesting. I like Just Dance and Poker Face. I think they’re fun if nothing else…and if I eventually tire of her antics, I hope I’ll still think fondly of her music.

She reminds me of these Ladies from the 80s: Dale Bozzio and Terri Nunn. Am I right or am I right?

Cat in Box



Click here and here to see two more videos. She had a ball.

The Chinatownchicken Song

Here’s a little oddity about me: I assign songs or catchphrases to certain things that I am trying to remember. Not all of the time, but a lot of the time. I do it a LOT at work with either author names or title names, depending on which has the better hook. For instance, I’ve got a particularly annoying hook in my head with a current author by the name of Fox. What do I hear? Much to my joy, the phrase from You’ve Got Mail when the kid says “EFF-OHH-EX!” Anyway, whenever I look up my blog remotely, this song plays in my head. Except I change “Alabama” to “Chinatown”…so it goes: “Chinatownchicken show me the way, Chinatownchicken got something to say, Look him in the eye, Bird don’t lie” etc. Now it is your head, too, foo.’

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt!! Dreamy Matt!
I had to remind myself that he's actually older than I am. I was feeling a little pervish there.

Destination Unknown is my fave MP song but I had to go hear Metro from Berlin.

Happiness

My ex looked like Jack Skellington, so there!

Thank you! Moomoomushykisses

12:49 AM  
Blogger Shiny said...

Babygirl, you are 16 going on 17. Is that bad? Who can say? All I know is, you are the bees knees.

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home